OT: Vertical Tab was Re: indendation question

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Tue Jan 6 13:55:16 CET 2004

Erik Max Francis wrote:
> Samuel Walters wrote:
> > What exactly *is* a vertical tab?  I don't think I've ever seen it on
> > a
> > keyboard or used in the wild.  I think I may have seen it on the
> > keybindings for a mainframe terminal I once used, but I didn't really
> > dig
> > too deep because, as far as operating the mainframe was concerned, I
> > was a
> > well trained monkey who could check and restart failed jobs.
> It's a whitespace control character, whose precise meaning is, as far as
> I know, left to the implementation.  

I have or once had an absolutely excellent book on serial communications
programming in C (probably called that, too) which made an excellent case
for replacing all the myriad ways in which we represent end-of-line with
a simple \v, since it is used effectively for no other purpose at this point.

The idea will probably get as far as the Dvorak keyboard has, unfortunately...


More information about the Python-list mailing list