Batch commands on Windows

Mark McEahern mark at mceahern.com
Fri Jan 23 04:54:01 EST 2004

On Fri, 2004-01-23 at 00:56, Moosebumps wrote:
> So, after reading some messages about os.system, and looking at the popen
> stuff and trying it a bit, I still have not found a way to keep a command
> window open for several commands (on Windows 2000/XP), while seeing the
> normal output in a command window.  All I want to do is do what a batch file
> does, but I want to actually have functions and associative arrays and all
> the other niceties of python.

1.  Open file whatever.py, put this in it:

  print "Hello world"

2.  Open cmd.exe, navigate to where whatever.py is and type:

  whatever.py

What happens?

// m

p.s.  It's likely I've misunderstood your question because on the face
of it, as I understand your question, what you're saying is a glaring
hole in Python are aspects of Python I use effortlessly every day.