Typed Python?

Arthur ajsiegel at optonline.com
Thu Jul 8 03:42:52 CEST 2004

On 07 Jul 2004 16:45:37 +0200, Jacek Generowicz
<jacek.generowicz at cern.ch> wrote:

>> Another thing is whether it pays off for future students to learn a
>> language that they won't need after that one course,
>
>What they will need in the future, depends on what they choose to do
>in the future. If they want to be Java monkeys, then they should not
>bother with Scheme. If they want to be highly skilled programmers,
>then Scheme is a vastly superior choice to Java (and even Python).
>
>> unless they choose to stay in school & join academia.  Some might
>> say that the time would be better spent by teaching Python instead.
>
>Some might say that the time would be better spent teaching
>accountancy. It all depends on what you want out of life.

Perhaps it would.

>From the point of view of  an outsider to the world of professional
programming:

We judge a programming language with respect to its use in the "real
world", with Python and Lisp and Scheme lovers feeling obliged to
point to their languages use in the real world. Real world seeming to
mean - more or less - the business world. By employing the highly
skilled programmer, equipped with the just right tool (be it Python or
Scheme or Lisp or whatever) someone is  finding competitive advantage,
and thereby making more than ordinary profits, perhaps building an
empire or two.

But it is quite unlikely that someone is the programmer.  Who brings
born aptitudes, years of study and experience, etc, to the table, and
is probably in and out on a contract basis, having earning subsistance
for a bit of time, perhaps, in fact, by accomplishing something of
brilliance.

In the realms where I have my experience, nobody would be boasting of
being that programmer.

Art