NOSPAMdboland9 at stny.rr.com
Tue Jul 20 18:58:13 CEST 2004
The other day I was asked if there is an open source replacement for VB6
that is cross-platform. I spent a little bit of time at Barnes-Noble
and looking at news groups, but don't have a good answer. Hope you can
help without geting into a language war. These will be for commercial
applications with a GUI.
What they seem to be looking for is:
1. High level language, but not necessarly VB compatible.
3. Reasonalble learning curve
5. IDE and ability to graphically design windows.
6. Distribute programs as .exe's, so some sort of compiler needed.
7. Serial communications library (RS-232, 485, USB)
8. SNMP library
9. Good performance (not expected to be as fast as C/C++)
10. Windows are native to each O.S.
11. Database support of Access and MySQL
It looks like any of the three languages have most or all of what they
need, but I don't use scripting languages enough to give a good answer.
More information about the Python-list