ANN: Reminder -- SciPy 04 is coming up

eric jones eric at enthought.com
Wed Jul 14 01:07:42 EDT 2004

Hey folks,

Just a reminder that SciPy 04 is coming up.  More information is here:

http://www.scipy.org/wikis/scipy04

About the Conference and Keynote Speaker
The 1st annual *SciPy Conference* will be held this year at Caltech,
September 2-3, 2004.  As some of you may know, we've experienced great
participation in two SciPy "Workshops" (with ~70 attendees in both 2002
and 2003) and this year we're graduating to a "conference."  With the
prestige of a conference comes the responsibility of a keynote address.
This year, Jim Hugunin has answered the call and will be speaking to
kickoff the meeting on Thursday September 2nd.  Jim is the creator of
Numeric Python, Jython, and co-designer of AspectJ. Jim is currently
working on IronPython--a fast implementation of Python for .NET and Mono.

Presenters
-----------
We still have room for a few more standard talks, and there is plenty of
room for lightning talks. Because of this, we are extending the abstract
deadline until July 23rd.  Please send your abstract to
abstracts at scipy.org.  Travis Oliphant is organizing the presentations
this year. (Thanks!)  Once accepted, papers and/or presentation slides
are acceptable and are due by August 20, 2004.

Registration
-------------
Early registration ($100.00) has been extended to July 23rd.  Follow the
links off of the main conference site:

http://www.scipy.org/wikis/scipy04

After July 23rd, registration will be $150.00.  Registration includes
breakfast and lunch Thursday & Friday and a very nice dinner Thursday
night.  Please register as soon as possible as it will help us in
planning for food, room sizes, etc.

Sprints
--------
As of now, we really haven't had much of a call for coding sprints for
the 3 days prior to SciPy 04.  Below is the original announcement about
sprints.  If you would like to suggest a topic and see if others are
interested, please send a message to the list.  Otherwise, we'll forgo
the sprints session this year.

    We're also planning three days of informal "Coding Sprints" prior to
    the conference -- August 30 to September 1, 2004.  Conference
    registration is not required to participate in the sprints.  Please
    email the list, however, if you plan to attend.  Topics for these
    sprints will be determined via the mailing lists as well, so please
    submit any suggestions for topics to the scipy-user list: