is there an encyclopedia of software concepts?

Stephen Ferg steve at ferg.org
Sat Jul 17 12:06:32 EDT 2004

This query isn't directly related to Python, but I thought I'd ask the
most knowledgeable group of people I know, so I'm posting it here.
:-)

Lately I've been interested in what the word "framework" means, in the
context of software development.  As in "XXX is a GUI development
framework".  And I'm wondering things like "Where does the term
'event-driven' (as in 'event-driven programming') come from?  When was
it first used, and by whom?"  And other similar questions.

My problem is that I can't just Google on (for instance) "framework".
I get back all sorts of stuff, including stuff that is non-computer
related, and lots of sites that have informations about frameworks but
that don't define the concept framework.

Either I need a way to narrow my Google query, or I need to find
something like an encyclopedia of sofware engineering concepts.  Does
anybody know if such a thing exists?