Bogus locales on Mac

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Thu Jul 15 07:18:03 EDT 2004

Ellen Herzfeld <xlii at xlii.supprimer.org> writes:

[snip]
> Has anyone using a Mac managed to sort accented strings correctly?
>
> The Mac has mostly tried to be quite international so I'm surprised at
> this. Have I missed something?

I suspect using some other method than the C libraries locale
functions is necessary... something like CFStringCompare?  Dunno if
Python wraps that, though.  Or maybe use PyObjC and NSSting's
-compare:options:range:locale: method.

HTH,
mwh

--
  <dash> wow. this code does something highly entertaining, but
         nowhere near correct                   -- from Twisted.Quotes