Parsing by Line Data

Bill Dandreta wjdandreta at att.net
Thu Jun 17 14:32:17 EDT 2004

python1 wrote:
> ...lines in a file, for example:
>
> 01A\n
> 02B\n
> 01A\n
> 02B\n
> 02C\n
> 01A\n
> 02B\n
> .
>
> The lines beginning with '01' are the 'header' records, whereas the
> lines beginning with '02' are detail. There can be several detail lines
> to a header.
>
> I'm looking for a way to put the '01' and subsequent '02' line data into
> one list, and breaking into another list when the next '01' record is
> found.
>
> How would you do this? I'm used to using 'readlines()' to pull the file
> data line by line, but in this case, determining the break-point will
> need to be done by reading the '01' from the line ahead. Would you need
> to read the whole file into a string and use a regex to break where a
> '\n01' is found?

First let me prface my remarks by saying I am not much of a programmer
so this may not be the best way to solve this but I would use a
dictionary someting like this (untested):

myinput = open(myfile,'r')
lines = myinput.readlines()
myinput.close()

mydict = {}
index = -1

for l in lines:
   if l[0:2] == '01'
     counter = 0
     index += 1
     mydict[(index,counter)] = l[2:]
   else:
     mydict[(index,counter)] = l[2:]
     counter += 1

You can easy extract the data with a nested loop.

Bill