wxPython on GTK

David Fraser davidf at sjsoft.com
Sat Jun 19 07:04:47 EDT 2004

Fernando Perez wrote:
> Batista, Facundo wrote:
>

>>In this context, I got worried when a friend of mine (codeveloper of sigefi)
>>could not install PyNSource because wxPythonGTK been always using private
>>methods from GTK, and now that GTK does not have them anymore, don't work.
>>
>>The bug is 915333
>>(http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=915333&group_id=98
>>63&atid=109863).
>>
>>The problem is that it's actually closed but not fixed, so I'm worried about
>>the viability of wxPython in GTK.
>

> My _guess_ is they'll have to fix it, and sooner rather than later.  Wx is in
> widespread use under Linux, and they managed to break it completely under
> (among others) Fedora Core 2:
>
> In [2]: import wx
> ImportError                               Traceback (most recent call last)
>
> /home/fperez/code/python/vis3d/<console>
>
> /usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/wx/__init__.py
>      43 __revision__ = "$Revision: 1.1.2.4 $"[11:-2]
>      44
> ---> 45 from wxPython import wx
>      46
>      47 _newnames = {}
>
> /usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/wxPython/__init__.py
>      18 # Ensure the main extension module is loaded, in case the add-on
> modules
>      19 # (such as utils,) are used standalone.
> ---> 20 import wxc
>      21
>      22
> #----------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> ImportError: /usr/lib/libwx_gtk2-2.4.so.0: undefined symbol:
> _gtk_accel_group_detach
>
> Essentially in Fedora2, Wx is unusable.

I have four versions of wxPython running successfully on Fedora 2 - wx
2.4.2.4 with GTK, wx 2.5.1.5 with GTK, wx 2.5.1.5 with GTK2 and wx 2.5.2
prerelease with GTK2

The only problem is that certain binary RPMs produced aren't compatible
with Fedora Core 2, because they're built on a RedHat 9 machine

You can rebuild them from source rpms and they work fine. In fact
(checks) ... surprise, surprise, you can get Fedora RPMs from Fedora extras.

Now if you have a problem with that you can complain :-)

David