Non GPL Python MySQL Client Library.

David Fraser davidf at sjsoft.com
Mon Jun 28 15:20:02 EDT 2004

Christopher T King wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Jun 2004, Lothar Scholz wrote:
>

>>Hello i want to write a commerical small tool that must access a MySQL
>>database but i can't afford the License Fee for the original MySQL
>>driver. In the Ruby world there exist a small but working pure ruby
>>library that can be used without buying a license or putting your
>>application under the GPL.
>>
>>Is there anything like this in the Python world ?
>

> Libraries licensed under the GPL can be used without GPLing the code that
> uses them - you only have to GPL any extensions you make to the library.
> Assuming that works for you, you can use (GPLed) mysql-python:
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/mysql-python/

I would take this advice with caution, I don't think it's true ... the
GPL generally implies that applications that use libraries are
derivative works. It depends how you define terms, but read the full
text of the GPL to make your own decision...

I think the story with mysql is that their libraries to connect *used*
to be LGPL (which the above statement would have been true about) but
they changed the license. You could always try and get hold of the old
version and adapt it to work with the latest mysql :-)

David