very large dictionaries

Pierre-Frédéric Caillaud peufeu at free.fr
Fri Jun 18 04:50:36 EDT 2004

	From what I understand...

	- The match table is static (or does not changes often)
	- Your input data changes every time
		(so you don't want to load it in a postgres database everytime)

	Your problem :
	- read the input data.
	- for each input row, generate several keys
	- lookup each key in the match table
	- take appropriate action

	My solution :
	- read the input data.
	- for each input row, generate several keys
	- save the keys in a file (tempfile) in this format :
		(key, record id)
		Generate tempfile in partitions :
		Generate N tempfiles which will each contain a partition of the keys.
	- For each tempfile :
		- Load it
			(you chose a number of partitions such that the files fit into about
1/4 your RAM.)
		- group by keys (dict( key: [record ids] ))
			again it fits into RAM.
			Record IDs are already sorted because they were generated this way.
		- sort on keys
			(again, fast because it fits in RAM)

	Now you have a sorted keyset which you want to lookup into a match table,
which is ALSO sorted
	(you sorted it beforehand because it doesn't change often).

	Now start a key_pointer at the beginning of your key list, and a
match_pointer at the beginning of your match table.
	You are basically comparing two sorted lists. This does not involve any
search, rather a very simple algorithm.
	Your match table is not partitioned.

	If key_pointer.key < match_pointer.key:
		advance match_pointer
	elif key_pointer.key > match_pointer.key:
		advance key_pointer
		if at end of your tempfile partition, load the next one and sort it.
	elif key_pointer.key == match_pointer.key:
		you have a match. record id.

	What do you think ? I already used this algorithm and it's very powerful.