Will there be Function/class decorators in Python 2.4??

Iwan van der Kleyn none at none.net
Tue Jun 1 03:15:17 EDT 2004

Anthony Baxter wrote:
>     the first alpha of Python 2.4 is about a month away.

Anyone know whether 2.4 will include function/class decorators?

http://python.fyxm.net/peps/pep-0320.html - Python 2.4 Release Schedule
http://python.fyxm.net/peps/pep-0318.html - Decorators for Functions,
Methods and Classes
http://shattered.teched.net/www.python.org/peps/pep-0318.html -
Function/Method Decorator Syntax

Basically, when I try to explain to other developers how you have to
define a property or class method in  Python, the general response is
"why did they came up with that hare brained idea!?". I cannot find
another answer then to say that the python developers in this case
created the infrastructure but forgot the syntax. Whether or not that is
the case, I think you can fairly argue that the present syntax goes
against the grain of one of Python's core qualities: code clarity.

Any thoughts or remarks?

(Or am I missing something here? In the PEP 318 Guido van Rossum is
stated to express "skepticism about the concept")

Regards,

Iwan