[python] Figured out how to go from email.Message.Message to string

David Bolen db3l at fitlinxx.com
Thu Jun 17 16:52:37 EDT 2004

"David Stockwell" <winexpert at hotmail.com> writes:

> Turns out in the Message.py module there is a __str__ method you can
> call to convert to a string.  And when i read more I found out its
> doing a fancy flatten.  I've seen references to flatten around so this
> will help reinforce in my mind what it means for a flat tened or flat
> python object.

Note that any object's __str__ method provides a default way to create
a "nicely" printable string representation of that object, but you
won't normally call that method directly.  Instead, it will be called
indirectly if you use the object in a print statement, or as an
argument to the %s string formatting operator, or if you use the str()
built-in method on that object.

Also note that the __str__ implementation for Message includes a Unix
formatted "From" line (the format used in some Unix mailbox files).
If you just want the plain message, you may want to use the
as_string() method on the Message object instead which has a parameter
to conditionalize the from line (off by default).

-- David