An XML parser is an XML parser. Period.

Richard Tobin richard at cogsci.ed.ac.uk
Thu Mar 11 18:59:07 EST 2004

> So once more: AFAICT PyRXPU is an XML parser.  PyRXP is certainly not
> an XML parser.  The substrate RXP is not an XML parser either when
> compiled without Unicode support and although I respect Thompson and
> Tobin as much as I do the PyRXP developers, they were really confusing
> themselves and others when they said "It complies fully with the W3C
> test suites (although we have compiled it without Unicode support for
> the time being)."

Sorry to respond to a thread long after its sell-by date.

Just for the record, the statement above was made by the PyRXP people,
not us.  RXP's 8-bit mode exists because it was originally written to
replace a "normalized SGML" parser in an existing (8-bit) application.
I wouldn't recommend compiling it in that mode for any except the most
constrained applications.

-- Richard