py2exe win32all: Can write, but not read FileVersion ...

Thomas Heller theller at python.net
Thu Mar 11 08:36:15 EST 2004

"Werner Merkl" <werner.merkl at fujitsu-siemens.com> writes:

> Hi,
>

> Python is really great, for small to big programs. For my colleagues and
> some circumstances I sometimes need to "compile" a script using py2exe.
>
> Cause I use Windows, I like to use the (Windows) ability, to add some
> version infos, comments, etc to the exe file.
>
> If I use explorer to check, these properties are visible and correct.
> But if I use _win32api.GetFileVersion_ , I get nothing for the language
> dependent resource...
>
> At the end you may see my example source code, which is almost the
> original code from win32all and py2exe. Just compile and start.

This is a known (to me, at least) bug: the version info resources are
probably not correct - they also don't show up on win98.  But I never
cared enough to fix that.  It would be great if someone could do this,
the code is all in Python, in py2exe\resources\VersionInfo.py.

> BTW: I found the same behavior for (most/all?) .pyd from win32all
> and for PythonWin.exe.

That may, or may not, be related.  I have no idea.

Thomas