Choosing Perl/Python for my particular niche

Fred Ma fma at doe.carleton.ca
Sat Mar 27 23:29:11 EST 2004

Paul McGuire wrote:

> "Fred Ma" <fma at doe.carleton.ca> wrote in message
> news:40652B0D.7C313F77 at doe.carleton.ca...
> <snip>
> > One thing I expect to have to do is to modify design
> > files.  For example, there is a tool which takes ASCII
> > hardware desscription language (HDL) and converts it
> > to a C++ (augmented by hardware simulation library).
> > The translator is freeware, so has limitations which I
> > have to make up for by tweaking the HDL code.
>
> If you eventually find yourself in the Python realm, please look into the
> pyparsing text parsing module, more information at
> http://pyparsing.sourceforge.net/.  I have implemented an easily-extended
> 99% Verilog parser using this module, and it may provide some shortcuts for
> you in dealing with your HDL files.
>
> -- Paul McGuire

Hi, Paul,

I took a look at your website.  I've decided to go Perl for now,
and ramp up on Python on the side.  I think a parser has a higher
level of intelligence than regex'ing, but I hesitate to jump into
it at the moment because thesis time is running out.  I may do some
adhoc regex'ing, either with sed/Perl/gvim (it's quick and dirty,
but suitable for the time crunch of my current circumstance, which
is a hard deadline on the thesis).  Also, I'm doing the quick-and-
dirty because of limitations of an *existing* verilog parser (and
translator) which I don't want to delve into right now, for the
same reason.  But thanks for the heads up.  If things work out in
the long run, and I get to know Python, I know there is a verilog
parser to keep an eye out for.

Fred