Python & the job market

Cameron Laird claird at lairds.com
Sat Mar 13 22:01:50 EST 2004

In article <mailman.11.1079229447.745.python-list at python.org>,
kbass <kbass at midsouth.rr.com> wrote:
			.
>I have experience about 4 years of Java experience (designed and developed
>numerous projects as a consultant in the past), 10+ years of Oracle
>experience, about 5 years of Perl experience so programming is not a problem
>. I guess my main point that I should have touch upon was learning Python
>and influencing management to go the Python route in a company where Java is
>the standard.
>
>The Python Advocacy site is a good starting point to achieve the goal of
>influencing direct management but influencing other programmers could be an
>endeavor within itself too. One to five programmers developing in Python
>would be considered 'rouge programmers' at my company so convincing Java and
>VB programs to use Python will be a definite challenge.
>
>It took me about 2 to 4 months to successfully influence management that
>Linux AS was a direction that our departmental server should be but
>influencing them about Python maybe an uphill battle due to other I.T.
>departments and non-I.T. departments using Java and VB.  I am up for the
>challenge.
			.
			.
			.
I think I understand you better now.

I encourage you to regard Python as a good team player.
I know of plenty of projects nominally committed to Java
or C or C++, that use Jython or CPython (or Pyrex!) to
achieve high-quality results quickly.

VB-Python relations are more complex but potentially even
more potent.  VB is hard to beat for the things at which
it's good, of course, but its limits are largely ones
where Python happens to be a clear winner.  One example:
VB GUIs are dumb--they resize unintelligently, it's clumsy
to attach deep computations to user actions, and so on.
Tkinter (among other toolkits) is great for vitalizing a
GUI that's more than just a data-entry form-processor.
--

Cameron Laird <claird at phaseit.net>
Business:  http://www.Phaseit.net