Python bytecode compatibility between interpreter versions

Aahz aahz at
Sat Mar 20 20:23:23 CET 2004

In article <c3hknq$2864jv$1 at>,
Jon Perez  <jbperez808 at> wrote:
>Right.  I am aware that freezing is the optimal way to distribute
>apps written in Python today.  After trying out Java though, I have
>to say I'm impressed with the way you can take a bunch of class
>files archived in the exact same jarfile to *ANY* computer with a
>JRE installed, type in java -jar jarfile and have it run _identically_.

Really?  I'm sorry, I have just a tiny bit of difficulty believing that,
considering all the stories i've heard about Java not being completely
cross-platform and cross-version.  I am sure that simple cases work as
you describe, but I'd like a cite for Java working as you describe in
Aahz (aahz at           <*>

"usenet imitates usenet"  --Darkhawk