Package name with '.' in them: Python Bug ?

Hung Jung Lu hungjunglu at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 20 12:10:08 EST 2004

"Terry Reedy" <tjreedy at udel.edu> wrote in message news:<mailman.179.1079764920.742.python-list at python.org>...

> Python is neither C++ nor Java.  It's data model is quite different.
> Imported jargon is meaningless to those not familiear with is.  Adding the
> word 'static' to 'class attribute' or 'class variable' adds nothing since
> there is no differentiation from a hypothetical 'non-static' class
> attribute.
> 'class statiticity'? is meaningless to me.  Actually, 'staticmethod' is
> something of a misnomer since the effect of staticmethod(function) is to
> mark the function as one to *not* be wrapped as a method but to be left
> alone as a function, just like function attributes of instances.
> 'unwrapped' might have been better.  I think there was an overstriving for
> parallelism with 'classmethod', which is an accurate and meaningful term
> (the contrast being with 'instance method').

Take a look at Erik Max Francis: (any surprise?)

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&selm=3DF40EDA.A4A514C4%40alcyone.com

And also search in Python mail list for "class-static" and you will
find many people in Python using the same terminology, even in PEP. It
may be meaningless to you, but that does not mean it is meaningless to
other more meaningful people. :)

As I said, the original poster made no mistake there.

Hung Jung