A 'Python like' language

Jon Franz jfranz at neurokode.com
Tue Mar 30 03:50:30 EST 2004

"Mark Hahn" <mark at prothon.org> wrote in message news:<6gS9c.58150$cx5.19190 at fed1read04>...
> Speed tests on Prothon will be meaningless now.  The code is chock full of
> debug stuff and is not optimized, either by humans or compiler.  We mean it
> when we say pre-alpha.

Not necessarily - I'm not looking for raw performance, but rather
scalability.  Many of the changes you've made in Prothon could either
improve or hurt scalability and CPU utilization in multithreaded
scenarios.  Of course, as a pre-alpha, no full conclusions can be
drawn.  But for example, what if Prothon scaled as well (or just
within an order of magnitude)  as standard Python?  Considering the
non-optimized nature of Prothon, that would bode very well, and could
start discussions in the Python community as to whether your sort of
APR based system with GC and multiple interpreters with native threads
is something to look at.  After all, I do believe that the last time
removing the global interpreter lock was seriously pondered and tests
were done, the APR was not considered (possibly due to it not existing
in a usable state at the time), nor was moving to such a stackless
backend on the table at the same time.

  Anyway, I'm busy with client work, and looking for more clients, so
I don't have the time to write any tests write now; perhaps by the
time I do (or someone else does) Prothon will be more mature.

~Jon Franz
NeuroKode Labs, LLC