Working around a lack of 'goto' in python

Stephen Horne steve at ninereeds.fsnet.co.uk
Wed Mar 10 11:58:25 EST 2004

On Wed, 10 Mar 2004 14:46:41 +0000, leeg
<leeg at teaching.physics.ox.ac.uk.valid> wrote:

>[1]"Byte compilation" is a jargontastic way of saying tokenised, then
>interpreted.

No it is not.

In the Java case (and the typical case) there is a virtual machine
with a virtual machine code, which is a very long way from just
tokenising the code. You can even get Java assemblers and
disassemblers. Much the same applies for Microsofts .NET.

I'm not exactly sure for Python, but the furthest I can imagine from
this is a binary representation of a preparsed abstract syntax tree
(which, with a few tweaks, could be considered a kind of structured
virtual machine code).

Tokenised just means replacing the text form of each token with a
token identifier. That simply isn't the same thing.

--
Steve Horne