Why '==' ??

Erik Max Francis max at alcyone.com
Tue Mar 30 16:34:35 EST 2004

Vrai Stacey wrote:

> JCM wrote:
>
> > a = b = c
> > a = b == c
>
> I had no idea you could do that! I was under the impression that
> assignment didn't return a value in Python, hence it being impossible
> use one as a conditional.

Assignment can't, and that isn't one, but the assignment statement is
defined such that you can change assignments together with no problems.

So in

	a = b = c

c is the expression evaluated, which is assigned to both a and b,
whereas in

	a = b == c

b == c is the exression assigned to a.

--
 __ Erik Max Francis && max at alcyone.com && http://www.alcyone.com/max/
/  \ San Jose, CA, USA && 37 20 N 121 53 W && &tSftDotIotE