Filemon-ish behavior by Python?

Chris google at chrislevis.com
Mon Mar 29 22:36:32 EST 2004

(For those who don't know what filemon is, it is a utility by System
Internals that hooks into something and watches every file-access
performed by the system (in this case, Win 2000), and outputs to the
GUI the files being accessed).

I like filemon, but I'd like it better if I could run it at the
command line, and have the option of piping the output all over the
place.  Does anyone out there know of an existing utility that can do
this, or, barring that, can you point me to a good place to start on
making such a tool using Python?  I'm not sure what I would have to
hook into to watch these operations on the disk.

TIA
-cjl