Gadfly ????

Fuzzyman michael at
Mon Mar 8 09:14:30 CET 2004

"Frithiof Andreas Jensen" <frithiof.jensen at> wrote in message news:<c29sh4$3id$1 at>...
> "Fuzzyman" <michael at> wrote in message
> news:8089854e.0403040124.1c6bd929 at
> > Gadfly looks like an interesting database system for python. I am
> > working on a couple of projects that may benefit from using a database
> > (on the other hand, these days - is there really aproblem with using
> > dictionaries that are a couple of meg in size and searching through
> > those ??).
> That you will be reinventing the wheel - databases are good at dealing with
> storing stuff and ordering/querying for it in many different ways you did
> not think you would need when starting out.
> You could even say that an SQL database can be an interface to the data
> produced by you application - if you need to stick a Report in a MS-Word
> document or Spreadsheet f.ex..
> >
> > One of these projects is a customer feedback database that will be
> > installed on our intranet - so I was looking for a pure python
> > solution.....
> Why "Pure Python"? Check the - if
> there is a Python DB-API for the database it is practically transparent to
> use it.

Because I *won't* be allowed to install anything other than python
scripts on the server...........

So I am looking for a database implementation in python........

> > I thought Gadfly was a pure python implementation - however when I
> > download the package it looks like it's optimised to work with
> > kjBuckets and kwParsing.
> *Optimised* yes - it will *work* without though.

Hmm... I may have a look at it though.

As all I need are slimple database functions - the simple python
database 'Kirbybase' that I've found may be enough.

> Gadfly has some other issues: It is a limited SQL language implementation so
> f.ex. CHECK and KEY constraints will not work - you have to do the
> syncronising of linked tables and parameter checks "by hand" as it were.

That probably wouldn't be a problem as all I need are relatively
simpel search functions (so far... this is a learning curve).