ready to use python, need help with GUI decision

Ville Vainio ville at spammers.com
Sat Mar 6 17:05:38 EST 2004

    David> On Wed, 3 Mar 2004 18:15:44 +0000, Jonathon McKitrick
    David> <jcm at FreeBSD-uk.eu.org> wrote:

    David> I believe the licensing issue with Qt is overblown.  If
    David> your work is purely non-commercial, use the GPL license.
    David> If you are a typical commercial developer, it should be no
    David> problem to pay $1550 per developer license (no runtime
    David> royalties).  I've heard there are problems for commercial
    David> developers who can't afford the $1550.  I would say, don't
    David> worry.  If your project fails to make a profit, I really
    David> doubt Trolltech is going to sue you.  I think they would be
    David> quite happy to get the first $1550 of any successful
    David> project.

So you urge people to break copyright law until they can afford to pay
the license? I would expect such a behaviour to prove extremely
problematic and dangerous.

I would suggest instead that all the "valuable", back end parts of a
program be coded UI-independently (good idea in any case), and then
finally GUI is tacked on by connecting it to the back end via CORBA
(or equivalent). That way the GUI (which is worthless w/o the back
end) can be GPL'd.

OTOH, I would probably just use GTK or wxPython. In fact, I wouldn't
even bother learning Qt - GPL or a crapload of Euros probably won't be
terms an average employer would approve (esp. if you have to use
Windows at work), so Qt would be restricted to home use alone.

--
Ville Vainio   http://tinyurl.com/2prnb