[OT] Compilable Python-like language?

Ed Cogburn edcogburn at hotpop.com
Sat Mar 20 09:04:49 EST 2004

I'm just curious if such a beast exists out there.  I've googled around some
and read some programming language websites but I have yet to find a language
similar to Python that can be compiled to binary.  Have I been looking in the
wrong places?  I certainly can't be the only person to want a Pythonish
language that can be compiled.  Even a language that just uses Python's basic
syntax characteristics (no end-of-statement markers, use indentation to denote
code blocks, less verbose syntax overall, etc) without the advanced dynamic
and OO features would still be interesting to me (indeed, it would really have
to lose most of the dynamic characteristics in order to make it a compilable
language, which is why we don't have compile-to-binary Python, right?).  Is
there such a thing?