[OT] Top posting is a PITA [was : Prothon Prototypes vs Python Classes]

Michael mogmios at mlug.missouri.edu
Wed Mar 31 05:31:08 EST 2004

top.
bottom
read
learn
you
forcing
be
would
this
No,

> That is not quite right. Using top posting forces every reader to
> unlearn a lifetime of knowledge about narrative flow in content.
>
> Left-right - top-down
>
> That's how we are reading and writing in most western cultures. For me
> that's about 40 years of habbit. And it takes a lot of mental effort
> to read.
>
> You could just as well expect that we start reading from right to
> left. Exactly the same thing.
>
> .too confusing pretty is that And

With top posting you're still reading the same way. You shouldn't even
need to read the quoted text below. It's only there to help keep the
structure of the conversation recorded. You read the relevant parts of a
document first and since we are, as you said, used to reading top-down
that means the relevant parts are highest on the page. The same way we
read a title and opening paragraph before reading the rest of a document.