installing PIL without jpeg?

biner biner.sebastien at ouranos.ca
Tue Mar 9 16:28:53 EST 2004

Hello,
  following a question about getting the size of a gif image, a good
soul (thank you Skip) adised me to install PIL in order to do so.

  I am trying do do make the installation on an IRIX platform as a
user. I did as told in the readme and used the configure script with
the --prefixe=dir with dir pointing to a directory of my own. I got an
error message in the "make" process when the JpegDecode.c was compiled
because jpeglib.h was not found.  I tried to use configure with the
--without-jpeg flag but the Makefile doesn't change.

  I tried to look in the configure script in order to get the jpeg
related object ou of the list which is put in the Makefile but I have
a (very) hard time making any sense of the configure script.

  Is there a simple way to install PIL without the jpeg library?

Thanks.