Suitability of python to specific project

Jorge Godoy godoy at ieee.org
Wed Mar 24 07:13:13 EST 2004

On Ter 23 Mar 2004 14:22, hyperbob at walla.co.il wrote:

> Regarding the small bugs such as the ones that I found in urllib (that the
> proxies were ill retrieved and the whole operation failed on a seemengly
> non-related problem at a specific computer): what worries me more than the
> existence of small bugs, is their tendecy to appear on one computer and
> not on another, as in my example. How common is that in the python library
> in comparison to coherent bugs? Also, how fast are such small bugs usually
> fixed in the official release (both in case that I fix them myself and in
> case that I only complain)?

I'm not sure those are Python failures or bugs.

We have a client here that has a network of Win98 machines (more or less 20
machines), all with the latest updates, installed from their respective
installation CDs. And some machines can't use passive FTP while other can.
We even tried installing one of those machines that can't use FTP with a CD
of one that can and... it didn't worked.

Funny, isn't it? So if I was writing something that relied on Internet FTP
access, and if my program used standard Win98 resources, my application
would fail. Would it be my fault? How could I solve it without too much
work?

So, repeating my initial phrase, I don't know whose fault it is.

--
Godoy.      <godoy at ieee.org>