proper use of braces in Python (was: Prothon Prototypes vs Python Classes)

Jim Benson jbenson at sextans.lowell.edu
Tue Mar 30 19:55:47 EST 2004

On Tue, 30 Mar 2004, Michael wrote:

> >>Right.  Then we can have "does the brace go on the same line or the
> >>next line" wars.
> >>

> >    int main (void)
> >    {
> >        if (true)
> >        {
> >        }
> >
> >        return 0;
> >    }
> >
> >There is no other way.
> >

> No way, that wastes an entire line of code with a single brace!
>
> int main ( void ) {
>     if ( true ) {
>         return 1;
>     }
>     return 0;
> }
>
> This is clearly better. Compact yet easy to read. I try formatting my
> Python code exactly like this and it always complains about my braces..
> clearly wrong.

Hi,

...just a food for thought from a Python list lurker.
I have always been a strong adherent to the

if (true) {

}

form. Not too long ago on this list (i think it was),
someone pointed out that you never see:

If (true) BEGIN:

END

humm...i thought, your right, in that case i guess
i would probably write the BEGIN on a different
line...not sure what indention of the END
i would choose.

Jim