[Windows] Pygtk2 incompatible with Stackless

Christian Tismer tismer at stackless.com
Mon Mar 29 08:24:03 EST 2004

Lorenzo Gatti wrote:

> Last weekend I tried to install Pygtk2 on Windows. I succeeded
> (maybe), but I discovered a likely bug.
> I have Windows 2000, Python 2.3.3 (with ActivePython installed after
> the normal version) and a recent Stackless 3.0 python23.dll.
> I think I've chosen correct and matching versions of GTK2 (Dropline
> distribution 2.2.4-2) and Pygtk2 (pygtk 2.2.0-1.win32-py2.3.exe).
> I installed both in the default locations (pygtk in site-packages,
> GTK2 in c:\programmi\file comuni\gtk).
> Then I added c:\programmi\file comuni\gtk\lib to the PATH to load GTK2
> libraries, I added %PATH% to the PYTHONPATH environment variable
> (previously empty) to load the GTK libraries from Python too, and with
> advice from Microsoft Dependency Walker I rearranged PATH because a
> mismatched iconv.dll from ActiveTcl was loaded instead of the GTK2
> one.
> I had an unrelated installation problem: the pygtk initialization code
> looks for directory names like "gtk-2.0" and there is one such
> directory in the GTK installation. This directory is assumed to be the
> pygtk installation subdirectory for GTK 2.0. Instead of hacking pygtk
> I copied the files there.
>
> After all this entertainment I could import the whole family of
> modules and call pygtk.require("2.0") without errors, but I had a
> surprise:
>
> C:\>python
> Python 2.3.3 Stackless 3.0 040324 (#51, Mar 24 2004, 18:07:02) [MSC
> v.1200 32 bit (Intel)] on win32

> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
> RuntimeError: more keyword list entries than argument specifiers
>

> This cryptic message comes from getargs.c and appears to be an
> incorrect specification of some function in Pygtk, but it isn't.
> Reverting to the normal python23.dll the result appears correct:
>
> C:\>python
> Python 2.3.3 (#51, Dec 18 2003, 20:22:39) [MSC v.1200 32 bit (Intel)]
> on win32

> (:540): Gtk-WARNING **: Impossibile trovare il gestore dei temi in
> module_path: "wimp",
> <gtk.Window object (GtkWindow) at 0x7ef030>
>

> The only configuration difference between the two transcripts is a
> replaced c:\winnt\system32\python23.dll.
>
> Like most users, I have little need to use Stackless Python and Pygtk
> at the same time, but this issue can be worth investigating for the
> Stackless and/or Pygtk2 developers.

Thanks for pointing us to that problem. It is of course relevant
since Stackless tries to be a complete replacement for Python.
In a slightly too rigorous implementation of thread pickling,
I renamed some builtin types slightly, which caused other
problems, already. These changes will be gradually undone.
I very much hope that the Pygk2 problem belongs to this simple
class.

thanks - chris