latin 1 in curses?

Magnus Lie Hetland mlh at furu.idi.ntnu.no
Tue Mar 23 07:37:11 EST 2004

I'm playing around with curses, and have had some problems with
that... For example, I can't make colours work in Python, although
several other curses-based programs use colours on my box. (ncurses, I
suppose -- and some maybe slang?) Does Python use ncurses now -- or?

But the colours aren't that important. More important is my inability
to get latin 1 characters to work in Textpad objects. (I can't get the
page up/down and backspace characters to work properly either; and not
only in Textpad editing.)

Is there some locale stuff I need to be setting? Some manual handling?
Is there a limitation in the library? Does this depend on the curses
implementation I'm using? Would I be better off with some packages
such as py-ncurses? (Or even writing in C and embedding Python?)

Any advice appreciated.

--
Magnus Lie Hetland           "The mind is not a vessel to be filled,
http://hetland.org            but a fire to be lighted."  [Plutarch]