portable /dev/null again

John Belmonte john at neggie.net
Wed Mar 24 13:20:04 EST 2004

Hello,

A few months ago, someone suggested the need for a portable equivalent
to /dev/null in Python's libraries.  He was told it was too trivial an
addition to the library, and to use something like:

     class nullFile:
         def write(self, data):
             pass

However, as the above does not present a full Python file object, it
can't go everywhere that say, sys.stdout can go.  More specifically, it
doesn't provide a file descriptor that may be required by low-level
interfaces.

I wish an os.nullfile (or at least, os.nullfilename) was available so
that I wouldn't have to think about this.

-John Belmonte

--
http:// if  ile.org/