Static Typing in Python

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Mon Mar 15 19:03:07 EST 2004

Joe Mason wrote:

> In article <4055ec40$0$15725$afc38c87 at news.easynet.co.uk>, Peter Hickman wrote:
>
>>>He's actually contrasting _statically_ typed languages with
>>>Python. Unfortunately he is using the word "strongly" where he should
>>>be using "statically".
>>
>>So you are saying the Guido van Rossum doesn't know what he is talking
>>about and I should take it from you what he really meant? And you said
>>that I was resorting to 'argument from authority' when you are positing
>>to know what he really meant.
>
> Or you could look it up and find out which one of them is right.  Here's
> a good place to start:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Static_typing#Type_checking

Even looking there (or anywhere) won't really tell you "which is right"
(although that particular page is certainly an excellent _description_
of a common usage).

Here are some more links to explain this:
http://www.dict.org/bin/Dict?Form=Dict2&Database=*&Query=prescriptive
and
http://www.dict.org/bin/Dict?Form=Dict2&Database=*&Query=descriptive

:-)