Python - open forever ?

Romans Krjukovs Romans.Krjukovs at lattelekom.lv
Thu May 13 08:55:53 EDT 2004

Hi !

Our company is going to start use Python widely.
To make this reality we have to include Python in our strategy
plans for at least 3 nearest years.
This would be a green light to our developers to start new projects on
Python.

At the presentation of Python and its usage posiibilities in our
home environment to the members of the project managers board,
we got such questions:
- There is a risk that Python can become closed and unsupported in the
future.
  (Remember RedHat ?)
- Who can guarantee that Python will be usable and available  to us if
it is
  develeped and maintained by the hackers from all over the world
without
  any obligations and guarantees ?
- How we can minimize such risk ? (Become a member of some club,
  buy licenses, support etc.)

Python is very fast in development, stable and fast code, easy to learn,
but never the less big and business critical project can't be started
without
mentioned risk analyses.
It would be nice to know what Python society members think about this.

Thank You !

BRG

Romans Krjukovs