Server/OS/Dev environment

Ray Cote rgacote at AppropriateSolutions.com
Sat May 22 13:09:46 EDT 2004

>Hi.  I am new to Python, but very eager to learn.
Welcome!

>  I've browsed many
>postings and found conflicting opinions on the best backend and
>development setup.  In fact, I am more confused now that when I first
>began investigating this problem.
Languages, text editors, mail clients..., it all comes down to
personal preferences and precisely what you need to do. Probably need
to look around at a variety of tools.

>I need to create web pages with MySQL as the primary data source.
>What would be the best server set up for this?  RH?  Windows?
>mod_python?  Spyce?  Some other templating mechanism?

I found it easy to get started with Snakelets
	<snakelets.sourceforge.net/>
and CherryPy
	<www.cherrypy.org/>

These are easy to install and get started with.
I'm also a fairly newbie Python programmer and simply did not have
the time to wrap my thoughts around large environments like Twisted
or Zope. Snakelets and CherryPy were a good start for me.

Python and MySQL run just about anywhere so the 'best' platform is
probably whatever you have in front of you.

For myself, my development platform tends to be Mac OS X with the
BBEdit text editor.
Deployment tends to be on variants of Linux, BSD, Mac OS X, and Windows.
Databases tend to be: Oracle, Firebird, PostgreSQL, and MySQL.

--Ray

--

Raymond Cote
Appropriate Solutions, Inc.