perl to python

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Wed May 12 09:41:58 EDT 2004

In article <slrnca3t0e.2asc.kirk at eyegor.jobsluder.net>,
Kirk Job-Sluder  <kirk at eyegor.jobsluder.net> wrote:

>And here is the fundamental question.  Why should I spend my time
>writing a module in python to emulate another tool, when I can simply
>use that other tool?  Why should I, as a resarcher who must process
>large quantities of data, spend my time and my employer's money
>reinventing the wheel?

Why should your employer pay for the time for all of its employees to
learn all of those other tools, when Python will do the job?  I've used
sed and awk often enough to read other people's code some of the time,
but I certainly can't write them without a great deal of effort, and
modifying an existing example to do what I want might or might not be
easy -- no way of knowing in advance.

Adopt A Process -- stop killing all your children!