What I don't like about wxPython

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Mon May 10 07:23:56 EDT 2004

Ryan Paul wrote:

> On Sat, 08 May 2004 17:08:59 -0700, Paul Rubin wrote:
>>
>>If wxPython really depends on Windows, that's a huge obstacle for
>>those wanting a portable system.  If it doesn't literally depend on
>>Windows, but uses Windows-centric interfaces and approaches, that's
>>still pretty annoying for non-Windows developers.
>
> now i'm curious. are there ANY gui toolkits that arent blatantly
> windows-centric? Personally, I HATE the windows user interface paradigm,
> but it seems to be pretty much ubiquitous regardless of your operating
> system. GTK, Photon, Aqua, QT, Swing, VCL... all of them have toolbars,
> menus, checkboxes, etc. They are all just variation on a theme, so to
> speak. If you know of a command oriented graphical interface, i'd love to
> hear about it. ;-)

Do you mean "windows-centric", or "Windows-centric"?  There's
a difference, and Microsoft most definitely did *not* invent
the concept of "windows", trademarks aside...

Windows(tm) is merely a clone of other things, "a GUI with windows"
is not what people mean by "Windows-centric".  That term refers
more to the API and the way things are set up in the GUI than
to the "window icon menu pointer" (WIMP) idea itself.

(And to answer the one question you might have been asking,
yes, many of the frameworks have no connection to Windows(tm)
at all.)

-Peter