Distutils help needed!

John Roth newsgroups at jhrothjr.com
Fri May 7 17:31:15 EDT 2004

I'm trying to put together a distribution for Python
FIT 0.4a1 (the first version I'm actually distributing),
and distutils is giving me a slight problem. It seems
to be building OK and both the manifest file and the
.zip file have all the right directories and contents.
The install seems to work and it's putting the fit
directory in the right place, but the result is missing
directories  that don't contain at least one Python module.
(and one directory that does contain a Python
module, but it doesn't contain a __init__.py -
the module is a script, not something to import.)

This is on Windows. Here's the setup.py file:

# Distutils setup file.

from distutils.core import setup

setup(name="PyFIT",
      version="0.4a1",
      packages = ["fit", "fit/fat", "fit/tests", "fit/eg", "fit/eg.music"],
# XXX eg.net when update
      author = "Ward Cunningham",
      author_email = "Ward at c2.com",
      maintainer = "John Roth",
      maintainer_email = "PyFit_maintainer at jhrothjr.com",
      url = "fit.c2.com",
      description = "Python language port of FIT",
      long_description =
          """ FIT is an acceptance test package originally written in Java
              by Ward Cunningham and ported to Python by Simon Michael. This
              version brings the code up to the latest Java version on
              fit.c2.com, and also includes changes for and interfaces to
              Object Mentor's Fitnesse package
          """,
      )

and here's the MANIFEST.in file:

global-include *.htm *.html *.gif *.jpg *.txt

Another question. Ward is the author of the original
Java version of FIT; should I be refering to him as
the author, Simon Michael (who did the original Python
port), or myself, who has done a lot of work trying to
make it a useful Python facility? What's the general
tradition here?