Python job opening at GPO in Washington, DC

William Park opengeometry at yahoo.ca
Fri May 7 15:33:58 EDT 2004

Nick Vargish <nav+posts at bandersnatch.org> wrote:
> I've been way behind on reading this newsgroup, but I see someone
> noticed the posting for someone who will be my co-worker and partner
> in advocacy...
>
> steve at ferg.org (Stephen Ferg) writes:
>
> > I just saw this opening posted.  It is a Federal government position
> > (GS-13) at the Government Printing Office, Washington, DC, right
> > across the street from where I work.
>
> We just got to interviewing for this position (government schedule,
> obviously) and there were very few applicants with real-world Python
> experience. Maybe I should have campaigned more heavily on this
> newsgroup.
>
> I've been working to get Python accepted here at GPO, my main
> arguments have been maintainability, portability, and developer
> productivity.

Hmmm, you're trying to convince your boss to do with less budget.  So,
he goes to his boss and says, "My IT budget was $10Million last year,
but just give me $1Million this year.  I've got Python."  I don't think
ANY government works this way. :-)

What you should say is, "With Python (and Linux), we can outperform
other departments with only %10 of our current resource.  Pretty soon,
we can take over their duties and their budgets.  Our department will
grow 5 folds in 2 years."

--
William Park, Open Geometry Consulting, <opengeometry at yahoo.ca>
Linux solution/training/migration, Thin-client