Replacing RPM with Source Install

Brian Gough bjg at network-theory.co.uk
Sat May 1 08:09:06 EDT 2004

Richard Petty <repettyBOGUS at austin.rr.com> writes:

> My first instinct was to remove the RPM version of Python but I got
> a whole screenful of dependency warnings (see below). How should I
> proceed? Should I go ahead and yank the RPM-based Python and then
> compile/install the new version or should I try to keep both
> installations?

I'd recommended installing the new version separately, setting your
PATH variable to use it, and leaving the system version of python
unchanged.

You can compile and install new versions of python in independent
directories, such as /opt/python-2.3.3, with a command like:

  ./configure --prefix=/opt/python-2.3.3

See the README in the source for details.

--
Brian Gough

Network Theory Ltd,
Publishing the Python Manuals --- http://www.network-theory.co.uk/