Dabo 3-tier desktop framework for data-aware apps

john fabiani jfabiani at yolo.com
Wed May 12 18:43:27 EDT 2004

John J. Lee wrote:
> john fabiani <jfabiani at yolo.com> writes:
> [...]
>
>>I also have not discovered the way to print reports or any routines
>>that will generate the detail bands etc...  But I have faith that they
>>are out there.  I really hope that I don't have to hand code reports.
>

> 'Report' is a fairly broad concept.  It sounds like 'report' means
> something quite specific to a VFP-er, though.  If so, what would that
> be?
>

> John
Big subject reports -  in VFP we have a visual way to create printed
reports.  Normally, the report is associated with data (a cursor).  The
report form program loops thru the cursor and outputs the data to the
report form to be printed either to the screen or a printer.  The visual
report editor allows the programmer to work with bands (detail,group,
title, summary and several others).  If you have worked with other
report writers they generally work the same way.  In a broad sense it's
sort like working with a forms editor (boa).  The report information is
kept in a table and a report program reads the table to generate the
output to the printer (along with the data).  I think this how pyQT
works to generate a window but pyQT uses a glade file (I think).
Anyway, at the moment I don't have a way to send data to a printer.

I'm guessing but I bet that simple text can be sent to a printer using
Python (looping of course).  But in today's world most users want
graphics along with the data.  Like an invoice with a logo, boxes around
the bill to and ship to, along with column lines.  So I'm hoping that
someone has at least started a project to print reports.

John