i18n/localization-- easily??

Ixokai usenet at ixokai.net
Thu May 20 19:39:30 EDT 2004

I want to add internationalization to the software i'm writing now, but have
run into a bit of a snag.

It seems so darn complicated! Importing gettext, forcing it to grab the .mo
from the correct location(nessecarily a bit non-standard in this situation),
and using _() around my strings, those are all easy.

But generating the .pot's seems impossibly complicated. Am I wrong or do I
need to run pygettext on every single file in my system, manually? Then
msgfmt? I was hoping that I could run it once, have it scan all of the
python files referenced, and have it generate some global 'messages.pot',
that I could then append to with subsequent executations (on different
files).

This doesn't appear to be the case. Did I miss something terribly? :)

Thanks

--Stephen