RELEASED Python 2.3.4, release candidate 1

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Fri May 14 17:00:34 EDT 2004

Hornberger, Chris wrote:

>>WINDOWS
>>... Windows users may also be
>>interested in Mark Hammond's win32all, a collection of
>>Windows-specific extensions including COM support and Pythonwin, an
>>IDE built using Windows components.
>
> PS... I have moral and ethical arguments against this. I believe it's just plain WRONG to use a language like Python or Java or even C#/.NET and RELY on platform specific "extensions".
>
> If it ain't cross platform, then it's VB.

Oh dear, I'm so sorry.  I'll stop using Python immediately and
switch to Visual BASIC for my work, which relies on interfacing
with DLL files provided by third parties (using ctypes and
calldll) and which therefore must run on Windows.

I really apologize.  I had *no idea* I was committing a moral
and ethical mistake in using Python for this kind of work.

I have sinned.  I must commit supuku.  So long, world.

-Peter

(Was the sarcasm a little too thick there?  What a ludicrous
statement to make...)

P.S.: I see the followup to Thomas' response.  It makes no
difference.  You are still saying I must not use Python for
Windows-only work merely because it _can_ do cross-platform
work.  The logic there is real, real weak.