Dynamic languages can be compiled [Was: Prothon gets Major Facelift in Vers 0.1.0 [Prothon]]

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.net
Thu May 27 11:06:01 EDT 2004

Jacek Generowicz <jacek.generowicz at cern.ch> wrote in message news:<tyfpt8qjp7f.fsf at pcepsft001.cern.ch>...

> Ryan Paul <segphault at sbcglobal.net> writes in this very thread:
>
> > I dont understand why everybody seems to want a machinecode compiler. It
> > wont make a high-level, dynamically typed language run any faster.
>
> I guess there are different ways of interpreting the plethora of
> contributions such as the above. Maybe my I'm misunderstanding them.

Then I must have misunderstood them, too. Perhaps the author could
qualify his statement in light of the evidence brought to light, in
addition to the existence of technologies such as Psyco. The intention
may really have been to claim that even a sufficiently powerful type
inferencing mechanism, acting before run-time on very general code
which uses polymorphism extensively (roll out all those short code
snippets), won't produce significantly faster programs; but short and
snappy sweeping statements generally sacrifice meaningful
qualification for the sake of leaving an impression of higher
knowledge withheld from the inquiring masses.

Paul