Python for Large Projects

john fabiani jfabiani at yolo.com
Sun May 16 11:25:59 EDT 2004

Peter Hansen wrote:
> Ixokai wrote:
>
>> There is some concern that if we do this same
>> thing with Python, the performance hit of loading an interpreted
>> environment
>> over the shared filesystem will be prohibitive. Some basic testing has
>> made
>> this seem to be the case.
>

> Just focusing on this one point: it doesn't make sense to me that
> this would be the case, and in my experience it is not.  The
> interpreter (python23.dll for example on Win32) is less than 1MB
> and that's basically _tiny_ these days.  We always had a single
> shared instance of Python and never noticed more than a small
> fraction of second delay compared to loading it locally.  This
> was a network with only about fifteen developers as users, and
> 100MBps throughout, but I would think almost any program these
> days is going to be 1MB or more, so I can't see that Python has
> any disadvantage in this area.
>
> -Peter
I'm a newbie so take what I say with a grain of salt!
In the VFP (visual foxpro) world the runtime environment is loaded on
the local computer (client) and the program is often loaded on to the
server.  I'm wondering if there would be any advanage to placing the
python runtime on the clients along with the standard modules.  Then
placing the program code on to a server where all the clients/users
would access the code.  It would seem that the advanage would be that
program load time would about the same but the excutions would be faster
because of the local runtime.  Can this even been done?  Would it be faster?

John