Stackless python and microthreads

Michele Simionato michele.simionato at poste.it
Sat May 15 00:53:03 EDT 2004

"Mike C. Fletcher" <mcfletch at rogers.com> wrote in message news:<mailman.12.1084550223.4157.python-list at python.org>...
> Regarding applications; restartable exceptions, micro-threads,
> long-running-calculation restarts, migrating running code across
> machines, and creating new methods of parsing all seem like experiments
> that would benefit from having continuations available to ease
> implementation.  Any of those is a thing that an app programmer might
> want/need, and be willing to have a meta-programmer create for them...
> why force that work into C code needlessly?

Ok, I see your point, so let me restate my doubts in this form:
are you sure that you need to go to such a low level as continuations?
Wouldn't generators/coroutines be enough to fullfill your needs?

---

On a different note, I could notice that giving so much power to
metaprogrammers may have unfortunate results. For instance, we already
have three different kind of interfaces in three different frameworks
(Zope, Twisted, Peak) whereas there should be only one obvious way.
So,
I mantain that certain things should be left to the language designer
(i.e. Guido) and not to the metaprogrammer.

Otherwise you ends up as in Scheme, where essentially everyone can be
the designer of his own little language, with the disadvantages that
you
can see. I think metaprogrammers should be more humble, and think ten
times before using metaprogramming features to change the language.
But sometime the temptation is irrestible ;)

   Michele Simionato