MFC application and Python

Dave Brueck dave at pythonapocrypha.com
Wed May 19 10:34:05 EDT 2004

Adal wrote:
> I'm working on a C++ Win32 MFC application and I want to move as much
> code as possible to Python.
>
> At first I wanted to use a Python GUI package and keep the critical
> components (performance wise) in C++ extensions. The application must
> have a native look so this leaves us with only two choices.
>
> wxPython is way too bloated (9 MB on disk, 20MB! in memory for basic
> stuff) and people say buggy. PythonWin is nice and small, but lacks
> some features, like GDI support.

You might consider using ctypes as it lets you call pretty much any Windows
API. If you are familiar with rather low-level Win32 GUI programming, Venster
(a pure Python package built on top of ctypes) provides a good head start - at
my company we've used it in several places and have found it to be a good
alternative when app size is an issue, or when we're not really interested in
anything but a Win32 deployment.

-Dave