Distutils help needed!

John Roth newsgroups at jhrothjr.com
Sat May 8 07:00:19 EDT 2004

I got a response by e-mail that suggested I look at
either scripts or data_files. Somehow when I read
the doc, data_files went right by without making
an impression! I'll try that next. Scripts, on the
other hand, produced an error and I had to remove
it for the install to work at all.

And I'm now puzzled about why manifest.in
even exists. If you have to name every file in
the setup script, it seems awfully redundant.

BTW - responses in e-mail will not always reach
me. Everything, and I mean everything, from newsgroups
goes directly to my trash folder, does not pass go,
does not get whitelisted or anything else. If I throw
out the trash without looking, it isn't there.

John Roth

"John Roth" <newsgroups at jhrothjr.com> wrote in message
news:109o01v7s4lm2bd at news.supernews.com...
> I'm trying to put together a distribution for Python
> FIT 0.4a1 (the first version I'm actually distributing),
> and distutils is giving me a slight problem. It seems
> to be building OK and both the manifest file and the
> .zip file have all the right directories and contents.
> The install seems to work and it's putting the fit
> directory in the right place, but the result is missing
> directories  that don't contain at least one Python module.
> (and one directory that does contain a Python
> module, but it doesn't contain a __init__.py -
> the module is a script, not something to import.)

[snip the rest]