Hexbin

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Sun May 30 22:27:31 EDT 2004

MaximusBrood wrote:

> Im a newcomer to Python and I've got some error that I totaly dont
> understand.
[...]
> If I run this one, an exeption is raised:
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File
> "C:\Python23\Lib\site-packages\pythonwin\pywin\framework\scriptutils.py",
> line 407, in ImportFile
>     exec codeObj in __main__.__dict__
>   File "<auto import>", line 1, in ?
>   File "C:\WINDOWS\temp123\Stuf\all2.py", line 9, in ?
>     binhex.HexBin(file2, filename2) #translate hexed file 2 binary
> TypeError: __init__() takes exactly 2 arguments (3 given)
>
> I've got only 2 arguments, but python thinks I've got there 3...

Here's my quickie response, since I don't see that anyone else
has tried to reply as of yet.  If this doesn't do it, I can
look into it further tomorrow.

The definition of __init__ always looks like this:

   def __init__(self, ...):

where ... represents zero or more arguments.  Note that the
"self" argument counts as one for purposes of the error message,
so if it says it wants exactly two arguments, that means it
really wants only one argument in addition to self.

I don't know what binhex.HexBin() looks like, but it appears to
be different than what you think.  Taking a look at the source
in python/lib/binhex.py might help you... find the __init__
method for class HexBin and you may solve your own problem
once you learn what the one non-self argument is expected
to be.

Also checking the docs again might clear things up for you now.

-Peter